Friday, September 5, 2008

As One Chapter Ends, Another Begins

This will officially be my last post for my adventures in Iceland, and I thought it appropriate to share a few quick notes now that it's all done.

Overall it was a fantastic experience which I would recommend to anyone. Although I've been told by many that I was very lucky with the summer weather (the best most can remember), I don't think more rain could have dampened my experience. And while the summer boasts 24 hour sunlight around the equinox in late June, keep in mind the exact opposite happens in late December. Definitely take this factor into account before booking flights.

One aspect that I found surprising is how easy it was for an American to blend in. I guess I was expecting a greater difference from the norm, but the Icelanders are so similar in appearance (to Caucasians at least), language (it's rare to find anyone not fluent in English), and even things like food (McDonalds, Burger Kings, Subways, KFCs, and Taco Bells can be found in most places). Of course they have certainly retained some unique dishes (see shark, puffin, and reindeer related posts).

On average, the locals really like Americans. They watch our television shows, movies, and emulate our culture to such an extent that many mainland Europeans refer to them as "Little America".

Both nations also share similar consumption habits. Two good-sized shopping malls are located in Reykjavik, along with around half a dozen movie theatres. All this for a city with around 250,000 people. And then there's the shopping stores that stretch the entirity of Laugavegur street, the main drag through downtown. One even sees numerous SUVs moving around, which is a trait much more common with its Western neighbors than mainland Europe.

While most people speak Icelandic to each other, I rarely had an unpleasant experience with the locals conversing with me in English. I imagine this to be pretty much the exact opposite of an American walking through Paris armed only with English. And they were always helpful in giving directions or gracefully accepting our strange behaviors and questions.

And it would be unrepresentative of Reykjavik if I didn't at least mention its nightlife. With at least a dozen bars & clubs within walking distance of eachother in downtown and the weekend scene rarely ending before 6am, the Icelandic people set the bar high for anyone aspiring to be a serious party-goer.

By far my favorite experience of the trip was taking in all the natural beauty. While I would hardly consider myself an expert traveler, I truly believe Iceland to be the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Waterfalls, volcanoes, hot springs, glaciers, fjords, craters, lava caves, and even malls shaped like a penis...this place has something for everyone. It was difficult to visit anywhere outside the capital without having a sense of awe.

And while I am sad to go, I am eagerly awaiting my upcoming 6 months in Madrid (and the blog of course will continue). Thank you all for sharing this experience with me. I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I did in its writing.

No comments: