Friday, November 7, 2008

We'll Always Have Paris...Part 1

Location: Paris, France

As if I haven't been traveling around enough already, I recently met up in Paris for a weekend with a friend (the same from Oktoberfest and my general partner-in-crime for European adventures). She happens to be studying right outside Paris and is thus quite familiar with the city. This comes in handy when I don't speak a word of French or even know anything about even the most famous local sites.

After hopping on a plane straight from work on Friday afternoon, I land in Paris and make my way into the city around 8:30. We immediately set off to the Louvre since it's free Friday nights. It was also practically empty as the pictures will show.

We got a great view of the aptly names "Louve Pyramid" located in the center square as we arrived. I'm told is was completed in 1989, and it's obviously very beautiful when lit at night.
The Louvre itself is the largest museum in the world (more than 60,000 square meters, 600,000 square feet, or 14 acres). So with slightly under an hour to kill, we had to practically run to even have a chance at seeing even the most famous pieces.

First on our stop was the "Winged Victory of Samothrace". I'm told this is one of the most famous sculptures in the world, and it is given prime location in the Louvre as the lone piece at the top of a large staircase. Apparently the sculptor is unknown, but it has been dated from the 3rd century BC. I have to admit it was a very cool piece. I took the pic below.
And the next one I lifted off Wikipedia - much better angle and quality.
This next piece is likely to be my favorite in the entire museum, and if not then certainly my favorite sculpture. It's called "Psyche and Cupid" and is based on Greek mythology. The full story is too long to write but can be found here. It's very romantic and can be considered to one of the oldest "love conquers all" stories.
And of course this next piece by Leonardo Da Vinci needs no introduction. I'm told it's incredibly difficult to get a picture with Mona, but like I said it was Friday night and hardly anyone was there (less than 10 people around her).

I'm also told this is quite common, but I actually thought the painting was over-hyped, especially compared to the rest of the fantastic collection.
Lots of other great pieces, and while it's tempting to dedicate an entire post to it, we'll move out of the Louve now.

This is literally right across the street and is called "The Place du Carrousel", and it is but one of several triumphal arches in Paris. This was constructed in the early 1800s during Napoleon's reign and commiserates France's military victories in 1805.
I'm told this Arc is also the easternmost part of a direct 9 kilometer straight line which includes the Obelisk in the next picture, the main street in Paris (named Champs-Elysées), and two other famous arches. Impressive planning!
NOTE: The next four pictures actually follow this exact trail about half-way through to the Arc de Triumph.

The obelisk mentioned above is this one at the Place de la Concorde. It was actually donated by the Egyptian government in the 19th century; its previous location was the entrance of the Luxor Temple. And I don't think they mean the one in Vegas :)

It was really cool to look at up close because it's covered with hieroglyphics, and it's over 3,300 years old. The square around it has also been a favorite place for beheadings over the years, of which I seem to remember the French were quite fond of.
And this is one of my favorite pics from the trip with the obelisk and the Eiffel Tower in the background. In case you're wondering, yes I got there too eventually...
And here is the view down the Champs-Elysées at night (same street already mentioned), and in the distance is the Arc de Triumph.
And here is the Arc up close. It actually turned out to be one of my favorite sites in all of Paris, but I will wait and give its description later when I return during the day. But it looked really cool at night, I thought.
And that wraps up my first night there, but don't worry because there is plenty more on the way!

No comments: