Monday, December 1, 2008

Some Fun Moments With the Host Family

I thought these two little stories might make for a nice change of pace compared to the constant traveling. I think I touched on this before, but one cultural difference here is the Spanish like to stay out really late (often until dawn).

It doesn't happen every weekend, but a few times now both my host mom and I have gone out (separate places obviously) on a Friday night, and occasionally she'll actually get home later than I do! It's a very weird experience to stumble into bed at 4am, only to hear your 60 year old host mom follow you in a half hour later. Kind of humiliating actually...

Another funny thing to mention about my host mother - she's absolutely terrible with names. Especially foreign names. And of course since she's only got foreigners living with her (3 Americans including me right now), this can be humorous at times. At this point she either remembers names incorrectly, or more typically gives up entirely and just assigns a nickname based on their personality.

For instance, we had an older Swiss gentleman stay with us for a month named Werner...and somehow his name became Bernard. This is how I was introduced to him, so I kept using the wrong name too for an entire month.

Also right now we have Brice and Stephen, but she didn't like those and instead calls them "sonrisas" (smiles) and "triste" (sad) because one is always smiling and the other rarely does.

And me? She calls me "Kas", which I'd say is pretty close to my name. The only catch is its also the name of a brand of soft-drinks here, so she typically calls me "Kas limon" (Lemon Kas) or "Kas naranja" (Orange Kas).

No comments: